Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Honey Whole Wheat Bread (BestEver!)

Soft, crusty and yummy! This is by far the best bread I have ever baked!
I have been trying to bake deliciously soft bread for like ever! I have learned a lot about what works and what does not.
I had given up on making homemade bread but when I went to the grocery my daughter told me I didn't need to buy bread because I make the BEST bread ever! Awwwww!
I decided to give it another go... Tweaked and combined several recipes... And this time I was happy with the results!

Hollie's Honey Whole Wheat Bread:
1 pkg dry yeast
1 cup warm tap water(105-110 degrees)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons honey
6 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup dry nonfat milk powder
1/2 cup potato flakes
1/4 tsp absorbic acid
3 Tablespoons wheat gluten
2-3 cups wheat flour

Mix flour, water and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Allow to sit about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile mix together salt, powdered milk, potato flakes, absorbic acid and wheat gluten.
Add dry mixture, honey and oil to the yeast mixture.
Gradually add flour! (Each time I make bread it seems like it takes a different amount... :)

When you have added enough flour the dough should pull away from the edges of the bowl but will still be slightly sticky.

Knead in stand mixer for 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl in warm place until doubled in size (30 minutes to one hour.). Punch dough down, shape in loaf and place in well greased loaf pan. Let rise again until dough is 1 1/4 inch above edges of pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for about 40 minutes, bread will sound hollow when tapped.

Remove from pan immediately, brush melted butter on top. As soon as bread cools place in gallon tie bags.

Enjoy!

NOTE: My flour and gluten were purchased at an Amish market, the honey was from a local bee keeper. You can purchase gluten (baking section) and absorbic acid (canning section) at our local Wal-mart.

Please leave a comment if you enjoyed or have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment